Connecticut General Life Insurance Company Headquarters

  • Client Connecticut General Life Insurance Company
  • Expertise Commercial
  • Region North America
  • Location Bloomfield, Connecticut, United States

Project Facts
  • Completion Year 1957
  • Size Site Area: 280 acres Number of Stories: 8 Building Gross Area: 685,000 square feet
  • Awards
    1958, National Plant America Award, American Association of Nurserymen 1960, Gold Medal: Landscape Architecture, Architectural League of New York 1957, Office of the Year Award, Administrative Management Magazine 1958, Silver Medal, Architectural League of New York 1958, First Honor Award, American Institute of Architects (AIA) 1955, P/A Award: Architectural Design, Progressive Architecture
  • Collaborators
    Bolt Beranek & Newman Hubert Wilke Isamu Noguchi Weiskopf & Pickworth Arthur William Dana Knoll Associates Walter Voss Joanna C. Dinman Syska & Hennessy Group
Project Facts
  • Completion Year 1957
  • Size Site Area: 280 acres Number of Stories: 8 Building Gross Area: 685,000 square feet
  • Awards
    1958, National Plant America Award, American Association of Nurserymen 1960, Gold Medal: Landscape Architecture, Architectural League of New York 1957, Office of the Year Award, Administrative Management Magazine 1958, Silver Medal, Architectural League of New York 1958, First Honor Award, American Institute of Architects (AIA) 1955, P/A Award: Architectural Design, Progressive Architecture
  • Collaborators
    Bolt Beranek & Newman Hubert Wilke Isamu Noguchi Weiskopf & Pickworth Arthur William Dana Knoll Associates Walter Voss Joanna C. Dinman Syska & Hennessy Group

Hartford, Connecticut, is well known as the city of insurance companies. When one of the oldest of these, the Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, needed more space for business expansion in the 1950s, it decided to give up its headquarters in the center of town and erect a new building about five miles northward near the smaller town of Bloomfield.

The new headquarters was completed in 1957 on 280 acres of rolling farmland. The bucolic site, campus-like plan, and extensive amenities, including a full-service cafeteria and after-hours programs, reflected a desire to offer a highly civilized and satisfying office environment to Connecticut General employees. The building set new standards for flexible space planning, efficiency of operation, economy of construction methods, maintenance programs, and planning for future expansion.