Urban Design + Planning
Radical shifts are needed in the way cities are designed and engineered. SOM’s City Design Practice master plans high-performing cities as models of livability, sustainability, and resiliency.
Working with mayors and civic leaders in some of the most rapidly urbanizing areas of the world affords us the opportunity to solve complex problems in city sustainability.
Our design process is holistic and analytical. Before creating a vision, we get to know the location and its traditions and define principles to guide growth.
Informed by a deep site understanding, our design promotes smart, cost-effective growth with a vision that extends beyond to the metropolitan, regional, and even watershed scales.
- BrochureSOM City Design Practice II
- AwardsSOM Wins Two 2014 AIA Honor Awards for Regional and Urban Design
- VideoWaterline: A Study of the Chicago River's South Branch
- BrochureSOM City Design Practice I
- EventsPhil Enquist Speaks at TEDxMILLCITY
- On TwitterSOM City Design
- AwardsNanhu Country Village Plan Awarded Prize for Cities of the Future
- Som BlogThe Great Lakes Century Initiative