Urban Design + Planning
Radical shifts are needed in the way cities are designed and engineered. SOM’s City Design Practice master plans high-performing cities as models of livability, sustainability, and resiliency.
Working with mayors and civic leaders in some of the most rapidly urbanizing areas of the world affords us the opportunity to solve complex problems in city sustainability.
Our design process is holistic and analytical. Before creating a vision, we get to know the location and its traditions and define principles to guide growth.
Informed by a deep site understanding, our design promotes smart, cost-effective growth with a vision that extends beyond to the metropolitan, regional, and even watershed scales.
- BrochureSOM City Design Practice II
- AwardsSOM Wins Two 2014 AIA Honor Awards for Regional and Urban Design
- On TwitterSOM City Design
- VideoWaterline: A Study of the Chicago River's South Branch
- Som BlogThe Great Lakes Century Initiative
- AwardsSOM Receives Three 2013 AIA Honor Awards For Regional & Urban Design
- EventsPhil Enquist Speaks at TEDxMILLCITY
- NewsSOM Chosen to Develop Master Plan for Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station
- SlideshowGreat Cities, Great Lakes, Great Basin
- VideoSt. Louis can soar
- AwardsNanhu Village Plan Sets New Standard in Ecological Living
- Press ReleaseSOM Submits Plan for New Covent Garden Market District in London
- VideoArt in the City
- VideoThe Great Lakes Century
- BrochureSOM City Design Practice I
- VideoNew visions for Chicago's Garfield Boulevard