SOM-NOMA is committed to advancing equity at SOM and within the AEC industry. Aligned with the mission and goals of the National Organization of Minority Architects (NOMA), our internal group emerged in 2018 in tandem with SOM’s sponsorship of the Barbara G. Laurie Student Design Competition. It has since grown to a global group whose members and allies represent all disciplines at SOM.
Our work is inspired by NOMA’s mission: “rooted in a rich legacy of activism, to empower our local chapters and membership to foster justice and equity in communities of color through outreach, community advocacy, professional development and design excellence.”
In 2020, SOM-NOMA collaborated with SOM’s partners and Talent, Equity and Diversity taskforce to lead the development of a 34-step action plan which seeks to bring pivotal change within our firm and the wider industry.
Our members are active in NOMA and serve as board members at both local and national levels. We are focused on the following objectives:
- Mentor students of all ages
- Fight systemic racism in the AEC industry
- Create a safe space for our SOM BIPOC community
- Implement projects that combat injustice in BIPOC communities
- Foster BIPOC interdisciplinary professional relationships
- Promote BIPOC excellence and increase representation at all levels
- Evolve the conversation from “diversity” toward actionable goals for equity and social justice