The Waldorf Astoria New York originally opened in 1893 on the current site of the Empire State Building. In 1931 it opened at its current location on Park Avenue. In 1993 it was designated an official New York City landmark. Now, in 2017, the Waldorf Astoria New York has closed its doors in order to undergo one of the most complex and intensive landmark preservation efforts the City of New York has ever seen.
Plans for the renovation were recently submitted for public review by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. The plans, which were designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and interior designer Pierre-Yves Rochon, outline the restoration of all of the recently landmarked interior spaces.